Getting an SCCA Competition License

Read this New Driver/Minor Driver information document.  These are step-by-step instructions and guidance which will help you obtain an SCCA Competition License.  If, upon reading this guide, you have questions or special requests, Member Services at the SCCA National Office will be happy to help you! 1-800-770-2055.

STEP 1 - Join the SCCA

Joining the SCCA has never been easier, simply click here

Next, you’ll need to go visit your doctor for a sports physical. You can download that form, as well as the Novice Permit form.  SCCA Members over the Age of Majority (typically 18 years of age) can add an Annual Waiver digitally through the Member Account Portal - Instructions If you are 14-18 years old and want to drive competitively or work in a hot area, you (and your parent) will need to complete a digital Minor Waiver Instructions

Submit your Paperwork

Submit the Novice Permit Application with all of the required documents (can be uploaded through the Member Account Portal) and Novice Permit fee to the SCCA Member Services Department at 6620 SE Dwight St. Topeka, KS  66619:  NOTE: If you are 14-17 years of age, you must apply for all Competition Licenses through the SCCA Member Services Department at the National Office. The Novice Permit, often referred to as a "logbook," allows you to enter an SCCA Driver School and later, SCCA Regional Club Racing events. Anyone 14 years and older, who has a Motor Vehicle Operators license or previous racing experience, may be eligible for a Novice Permit. Items required prior to issuance of a Novice Permit include:

1. A current Physical Examination* dated no more than six months prior to application.

2. A photocopy of both sides of his State Operator’s Permit/Driver’s license, government issued identification, passport, or birth certificate.

3. 14 - 17 year olds:

a. A digitally completed Parental Consent, Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement form. Instructions

b. A digitally completed Minor's Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form.  Instructions

4. If you are 18-21 years of age and live in Alabama, Nebraska, or Wyoming, a notarized Minor Waiver Release form.

5. Novice Permit fee. For details contact the Member Services Department at 800-770-2055 ext. 215.

Prepare to enter an SCCA Driver School Event

Click here to go straight to the "Driver School" page, which has a list of SCCA Regional schools at the top and Professional SCCA Accredited Driver Schools below. Some Regions hold Drivers Schools only in the Spring, others conduct them year round; however, you may attend an SCCA Driver School anywhere in the country. To attend an SCCA Driver School, you must arrange for your own properly prepared race car. You will also need approved driving gear, including an SCCA approved helmet. If you do not have a race car, you will have to rent or lease one in order to attend a school. Renting allows you to concentrate on driving and also permits you to consider which class best fits your goals before you buy a car. Rental prices generally range from $500 - $2,000 depending on the car type. Contact your local Region's Competition Chairman for assistance in obtaining a rented vehicle.

If there aren't any SCCA Driver Schools scheduled in your area, contact your local Region to ask about arranging an Alternate Driver School (ADS).  ADS may be completed with an driving instructor one-on-one or with a small group of drivers.  The ground school instruction may occur prior to arriving at the track and the on-track observation may take place during a test day, SCCA CRE or Time Trial event. 

READ AND BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE GCR BEFORE your first school, paying special attention to the section on Flags! This is where you'll find information about specific vehicles as well as equipment requirements and standards.

Driver School Checklist

Links for SCCA Regional Driver School online registration can be found through the regional drivers schools listed HERE,  Complete your entry through MotorsportsReg  and note and download the rules and regulations (Supplemental Regulations) specific to the event and the race track.  Make absolutely certain your personal driving equipment, (i.e., Helmet, Driving Suit, Gloves/Shoes, etc.) is in good order, and that your car is race-ready BEFORE the first on-track sessions. Be punctual for your classroom sessions. These are mandatory.
Make every effort to have a qualified mechanic on hand to ensure your car runs properly, as you successfully must complete all the on-track sessions in order to get credit for the school.

SCCA Full Competition License...and Beyond

Upon completion of one Driver School and three additional race weekends (you’re still a Novice for your first three), you are eligible to receive an SCCA Full Competition License. You have two years from the date of issue to complete the Novice requirements. Once the requirements are met, send your completed Novice Permit, signed off by the event Race Director/Chief Steward at your third race; a copy of your Physical Exam; Competition License Application and fee to the Member Service Department. You will soon be the proud owner of a Full Competition License.

IF YOU HAVE ATTENDED, OR PLAN TO ATTEND, AN ACCREDITED PROFESSIONAL RACING SCHOOL...If it's road racing you are interested in, you will most likely have to attend one SCCA approved Driver Schools.

NOTE: While the SCCA Driver Schools and private racing schools have similar names, they are somewhat different in scope. A primary goal of an SCCA Drivers School is to teach novices how to race safely and expose them to racing in the SCCA.

• Accredited Driving Schools
• SCCA Regional Driving Schools


Depending upon your previous racing experience, some or all of your licensing requirements may be waived by the Chief Steward of your SCCA Driver School or by your Divisional Licensing Administrator.

An example: A driver who previously held an SCCA license but has not raced for a few years. Depending on this individual's previous racing record and the length of the layoff, it's possible the Divisional Licensing Administrator may waive the driver back to a Full Competition license. Or, the Administrator may require a "retread" to complete a Drivers School or a private racing school before a waiver will be considered. If you have previous racing experience and would like a waiver, document your experience and present your request to your Divisional Licensing Administrator.

NOTE: Fees and requirements listed here are subject to change. If you have questions about getting started in Club Racing; Write/Phone/e-mail Member Services Department at 6620 SE Dwight St, Topeka, KS 66619; 1-800-770-2055.  (If sending e-mail, please include your full name, member number, return e-mail address and telephone number in the body of the message).